Roddey Airport- Bryant Field- Rock Hill, SC
July 10, 1944: Roddey airport was opened to civilian flying and was operated as an associate base for Southeastern Air Service. The property was leased from John T. Roddey jr. to Sidney Mahaffey. Prior to this, it was used as a training facility for civilian pilot training and the War Training service.
Bryant Field is named for Robert E. Bryant, an aviator with two international records and an inductee in the South Carolina Aviation Hall of Fame. No exact date or history found on the name changes. (Archives Rock Hill Library)
From downtown, take Oakland Avenue going away from town. Turn left at the next intersection past Cherry Road. This becomes Ebenezer Road, continue on Ebenezer. You will pass Ebenezer church, the oldest church, and graveyard in the Rock Hill area.
Turn left onto Highway 161. The airport is on the right. It can be visited by turning right on Museum Road at the next intersection. The tour continues straight following Highway 161.